Monday, February 16, 2004

Software blues part I

When we enter into this line with all that struggle, I mean all that mug-slugging acts for getting a seat in IT either in BE, BTech, MCA or any other PG, we dream of so many things that we would want to do in life. I am sure many of us would have anticipated the field to be full of challenges and with the much of hype created by the media and other, we would have got the impression that the so called Knowledge Workers are not here to do simpler tasks that any tom, dick and Harry would do but to do things that require some special knowledge, something special that only few can offer, but things change and I really mean it. As a college passed out you might have that fire in the belly to do things that you would really want to do, even I did it as I worked for a pager company as a Customer Service Executive, contrary to what I aspired but I constantly upgraded myself, I learnt C and other languages and soon was famous as a techie, though I could never use the knowledge into use.

Though I am managing enough to quench my technical thrust, I am hardly going into the direction in which I wanted to go to. People call me techie and even they go a step further to call me super techie but I know from deep within, what's my worth is and what kind of techie I am.

The journey continues for me from one company to another who can quench my both the thirsts; Family and myself and I fear that any company you take will fall short in one of these lines. I am in search of something, which is close to my dream of becoming a true software engineer. It's pity that when we are at in our college days, we are not being told about the true work that is existing and how hard it is to become the select few in this Industry. In a country, which chunks out some 50 Lacs professionals yearly, nobody has the time to tell the generation next as to what they are up to if they take computers as their subject. I think as a country we have not matured enough to understand the nitty grities of this line, we may boast as the IT hub of the world but deep in hearts we know the kind of work that we do and the capability that we possess.

I am not saying that all should do high profile jobs, i.e. super techie jobs but at least we can set example for our next generation, in US they have a lots of people to follow, but is there someone like here in India (known nationally), I doubt. I think it's high time that we realize our potential and set high standards in R&D and Innovation too. I am very proud of the ripples that we have created in such a short span of time but I want these ripples to become waves and sweep the world one day.

We should all realize that we are a part of the ripple, so if you think that you are earning your salary then continue otherwise seek one and do justice to your aims and others too.

No comments: