Friday, June 10, 2005

Difference is Indian

This happened to me at the Immigration counter at Mumbai International Airport. Before boarding the plane, I was to clear the Immigration check and was told to stand in a queue. There were some ten counters helping the passengers. The numbers were written in the floor instead of being hanged / written in a visible location. My friend Suman would have cried for lack of usability here.

When I was told to stand in the sixth counter, I wondered as I didn't knew where the sixth counter was, just when I was standing like a child lost in a busy market, the security yelled at me "Neeche likha le hai" (it's written down). I compared this with the scene at the London airport where you are told quite politefully to stand in the counter and people are more than happy to help out first time passengers because they know, it's not their day to day activity.

The security guard in Mumbai airport was behaving as if I was a criminal and he was punishing me for an offence. I pity the plight of foreigners who come down to our great "Chatrapati Shivaji Internationl Havai Adda" (Havai Adda = International Airport).

Reach me at hifromsriram at GMAIL.com

No comments: