Wednesday, May 05, 2004

Small things, great deeds

I have been interacting with this Pakistani news paper agent for quite some time now. I go there once in a week to pick my calling card and during weekends, I pass through his store and usually talk to him for some time. We exchange the feelings that we have for our mother land and talk about our family back home and how we miss them.

This person is one of the first Asian to set up a News paper stall in Glasgow and he is known for his soft spoken nature. All newspapers have rated him as the best news agent in Glasgow. He seems to know everyone who comes to his store and everyone makes it a point to talk to him. His shop is situated in a subway near Queen Street station. He would normally greet everyone "How are you dear?, What can I do for you?", he picks up local accent very easily but one thing that amazes me is that he can't speak English. He just knows how to greet people, recognize the accent and correlate with the items in the store and that's all and he is doing this with ease for over seven years now. Great feet, I am flattened.

Reach me at hifromsriram at GMAIL.com

No comments: